Friday, July 22, 2011

Busy Summer

Wow what a busy summer. Don't ask me what I've been doing to stay so busy. I wouldn't be able to come up with an impromptu answer. It recently struck me though that I could stay busy in the kitchen all day.  I like to cook and try new recipes and I have a keen knack for using every bowl, pan and utensil within reach, which means a lot of quality time spent with my kitchen. Ha Ha.  

Like many in the Midwest, we're having somewhat of a drought so the garden is not as productive as usual. We are so thankful for what we have harvested.

I have rain barrels at the downspout of one of the garages. They fill up if we get even a half inch of rain. I mostly use the rain barrels for a little flower bed that's down hill from the barrels by connecting a garden hose that will gravity drain right into the bed. I have said in the past that I prefer manual productive labor instead of exercising, but when it comes to carrying water - good manual labor that it is - I try to avoid it.


We have had a nice quantity of cabbage from the garden. Here's a recipe I have made several times.

Cabbage Soup

3 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 quarts water
4 teaspoons chicken bouillon
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 head of cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) stewed tomatoes
A dash of Italian seasoning

In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic. cook until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes.
Stir in water, boullion, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then stir in cabbage. Simmer until cabbage wilts, about 10 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes. Return to a boil,then simmer 15 to 30 minutes, stirring often.

No comments:

Post a Comment