Monday, January 31, 2011

Planting Flowers

I really like using soil blockers to get seeds started. No need to put on outdoor clothing and I don't have to worry about my seeds taking a ride on the wind into Arkansas or Illinois. The kitchen table is my preferred place for planting. I can sit down and be comfortable as I plant my garden. In a later chapter of this story when seeds have become baby plants, they will be transported and transplanted in their permanent home in the garden or greenhouse.

To start the process, I pour the packet of seeds into the saucer. The pencil is moistened in the bowl of water and then dipped into the seeds carefully to only pick up one. Touch the tip of the pencil to the moistened soil blocker and the tiny seed sticks to the mini - seedbed. One seed planted.

I'm planting lavender (Lavendula augustifolia) in this photo. I don't think I could have too many lavender plants. I just love Lavender. Even though it is slow to germinate (14 - 28 days) and it may (or may not) flower the first year, the good part is that it's a perennial in our zone. Once it's established it will grace your yard and garden for many years. A little mulch blanket for winter and it will produce that lovely scent and flowers each summer and fall. Cutting the flowers as they are produced will encourage more flowers.

What to plant next? I'm thinking salad.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you're going to give me some of that lavender. :) I know I've already got one (if it makes it through the move we put it through and this winter weather!), but as you said, you can't have too many.

    I want to make a plan for a whole herb garden in the backyard. I just wish we had a fence.

    ReplyDelete